Everything started with a painted art piece of painter Stefanos Rokos. A dream work of the painter which drove me to make a dream quilt. The art piece was the following:
I made various versions before the final, that you may see below:
The fabrics I used were mainly han dyed to help me give the impression of the initial work.. I copied, I enlarged, many papers, fusibles, tracing papers, fabrics, scissors, thread, glues and so many things and details that I had not thought about before starting. However, equally big was my curiosity at the beginning and then my excitement. The size of the quilt: queen.
First of all I fastened everythig with the embelissement. I used rayon varieagated thread so that the result would be more vivid.
After that, security pins. Almost 300 of them to keep the three layers safely together.
I machine quilted it with free motion. Flowers and other shapes wew just outlined. The rest was quilted very dense.
You may see the logistics here: 2 spools of cotton thread (about 1000 m. each) and two more not completely finished. Furthermore all those bobbins you see.
Then I cut the binding. Almost 10 m. from the same fabric I used on the back side. I wanted something calm not drawing the attention from the main picture. I also made it the smallest possible.
I added a label and then when the quilt was ready, I made a sheet, two pillows and two cushions.
Two big sacs to put everything in
Two paper sacs painted so that they give a hint about the project
This project was the main feature of my summer. Needless to say that I look forward for the next one, equally or even more challenging.